With Microsoft prepping its launch in an additional 29 markets, Xbox One is getting some extra features as part of its August update.
The next-gen console will offer the following new functions to users with early access to updates next week:
- Activity feed updates: Announcing new ways users can interact with friends, Xbox one’s activity feed will change in design and introduce new functions. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. There will be the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You will be able to share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publicly (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). User will also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares their items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, to view what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts.
- Expanded friends area on home: This feature will allow gamers to see what’s new with friends from their home screen. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games they are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has the highest Gamerscore.
- Last seen time in Friends list: The friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”
- Mobile purchase: With the August update users will be able to remotely purchase games and add-on content. If your console is set to automatically take updates, it will begin downloading your purchase immediately.
- Low battery notification: Now a notification will pop up when the controller battery is getting low.
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
An official Xbox One preview video of the new functions in action, can be seen below:
The Xbox One August update will be made available to early access users next week. Everyone else will most likely have to wait till next month. Still, not long to go now.
UPDATE: Xbox One users can get all of the above starting today. The Xbox One August update will be rolling out from today and over the next few days.
Once users update their system, they will see a new Activity Feed, reduced to a longer single column where players can comment and like items. You will also be a able to view when your friends were online last.
Another handy new feature is mobile purchasing. Xbox users will now be able to remotely purchase games using SmartGlass or from Xbox.com and your console will download them automatically. just make sure to set your Xbox one to automatically take updates, if you plan to use this function.
Aside from those major features, the Xbox One is also getting a controller battery notification and 3D Blu-ray support. The ability to disable notifications during video playback is also being introduced.