The testing was conducted by independent testing house P3 Solutions, naming T-Mobile as the best overall provider of mobile broadband.
The tests were carried out in 16 UK cities, with tests for viewing web sites, uploading files and both sending and receiving email. T-Mobile was found to be five times faster than the other operators for sending an email and twice as fast for receiving.
T-Mobile was the first operator to roll out HSUPA (high speed data for uploading) and claims to be able to offer realistic download speeds of up to 4.5Mbps in HSDPA enabled areas.
The network began independent testing in the second quarter of 2008 with the following tests:
- Network performance for browsing most visited websites
- Streaming video (90 second YouTube video + a 90 second video streamed at 512Kbps)
- Downloading a 3MB music file
- Uploading a 1MB image file
- Managing an email with a 500KB attachment
Cities measured were London, Birmingham, Leeds/Bradford, Glasgow, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Manchester, Leicester, Coventry, Brighton, Reading, Nottingham, Slough, Crawley, High Wycombe and Maidenhead.
More info: T-Mobile mobile broadband deals