On the first day of RIM’s BlackBerry World conference, two new BlackBerry Bold models with touchscreens have been announced; the Bold Touch 9900 and 9930. Each will ship with BlackBerry OS7 when they go on sale in the summer.
The new Bold Touch, as the 9900 for GSM/3G markets and the 9930 for American CDMA networks, has a 2.8-inch super-high 640×480 pixel resolution ‘Liquid Graphics’ display and a 1.2GHz processor. It also brings NFC (Near-Field Communications), dual-band Wi-Fi and a magnetometer (digital compass) to the BlackBerry line-up.
The Bold Touch is slimmer than the existing Bold 9700 and 9780 models, measuring 115x66x10.5mm (130g) with other new features including 1280×720 pixel HD video recording (from the 5-megapixel autofocus camera), 8GB of internal storage and further expansion of up to 32GB via microSDHC memory cards.
With the introduction of the first touchscreen display on a BlackBerry Bold model,the Bold Touch comes with a new version of BlackBerry OS. Version 7 also includes support for NFC, as well as new icons and customisation options for the homescreen, voice-activated searches and the ability to manage personal and business content separately.
BlackBerry Balance means users can manage personal content, personal email, Facebook, Twitter, games and other apps whole retaining all of the security for corporate data.
The Bold 9900 and 9930 models will also ship with the full version of Docs To Go, including all premium features, and a native PDF viewer. Each model is due to be released in the summer.
More info: BlackBerry Bold Touch
- 115 x 66 x 10.5 mm, 130g (approx)
- 2.8″ capacitive touch screen display – VGA (640×480), 287 dpi resolution
- Ultra-easy QWERTY keyboard, optical trackpad
- 1.2 GHz Processor, 768 MB RAM
- 8 GB on-board memory, plus microSD slot supporting up to 32 GB cards
- NFC technology
- 5.0 MP camera, supports 720p HD video recording
- Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), Digital Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity Sensor
- Built-in GPS / aGPS
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi® – 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 802.11 a/n at 5 GHz
- Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR support
- Wireless Network support:
- 9900: Tri-Band HSPA+, Quad-Band GSM/EDGE
- 9930: Dual-Band CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A, Dual-Band HSPA+, Quad-Band GSM/EDGE
- 1230 mAh removable, rechargeable battery
- BlackBerry 7 OS