Exploding iPad Air causes Vodafone store evacuation

Jordan O'Brien
November 8, 2013

A Vodafone store in Canberra had to be evacuated after an iPad Air burst into flame, prompting a call to the fire brigade. Staff members and customers were all accounted for and no one was hurt in the incident, but it could have potentially been much worse — with the store filled with smoke and the iPad Air continuing to spark after the fire brigade arrived.

The incident occured on Wednesday, with an Apple representative already having collected the device to investigate exactly what went wrong.

It is believed that the charging port was where the fire began, although these type of issues have only been reported when using a third-party or counterfeit charger, rather than the official Apple one. A spokesman for the Vodafone store said that it is unlikely that a third-party charger would have been used.


About the Author

Jordan O'Brien

Technology Journalist with an unhealthy obsession with trains and American TV. Attempts satire far too often. (+44) 020 7324 3502

Share this article