So, are you using email client software that uses the MBOX file to store the data of the mailbox? Or you have an old MBOX lying around and you want to access the contents in the latest Microsoft Outlook.
No matter the reasons, we will help you in the conversion process of MBOX to PST. Do read on this article carefully and follow the steps carefully to convert MBOX to PST. Let’s start the article with a quick introduction to the MBOX and PST files.
MBOX file format is used to store email content in simple text format and it stands for MailBOX. In this type of file format, the content of the mail is stored in a long text file. Different email clients such as Thunderbird, Netscape, SeaMonkey, Entourage, and Apple Mail use MBOX file format.
PST is a type of folder file used by Microsoft Outlook and it stands for Personal Storage Table. The outlook is used to store data items for IMAP, POP3 and web-based email accounts. One PST file can be easily transferred between machines and Outlook versions. And the best part about the latest PST files is the file size, you can store up to 50 GB data in a single PST file.
Why you should convert MBOX to PST?
Nowadays Outlook is one of the most prominent email client providers that offer amazing features with easy to use interface. Therefore, most of the users incline Outlook when it comes to email client providers.
Here are some of the basic reasons for MBOX to PST conversion needed by users.
- The outlook is one of the best tools available with a state-of-the-art user interface.
- Outlook PST file is compatible with Microsoft Exchange Server and makes it easier for users to work offline.
- Outlook can be used across devices to send or receive emails.
- It provides many email features such as email scheduling, tracking, spam filtering and much more.
- Any corrupt MBOX file can also be converted to a PST file with minimal data loss.
So, whatever, your reason is for converting; you will be able to do it with one of these methods listed below.
Let’s get started.
Convert MBOX to PST
As we all know that Microsoft does not allow us to import MBOX file directly to Outlook. So, you need to convert it to PST to open in Outlook with ease.
The methods for that are listed as follows.
Manual Method –There is a manual method to convert MBOX to PST but it is quite lengthy and time taking. So, if you are not a technical person or a person with no technical interests, then you might have to consider the method with automatic steps. You may not be able to follow along with these as it will require you have extensive knowledge of different tools.
This method is in the three steps; follow all those to complete the conversion process.
Export to EML files – First, you need to export MBOX files to EML files using these steps.
Open your email client and right-click on a folder you need to convert and select the New Folder option.
Rename this EML file and send all your emails to that folder.
Now, open that folder and select all the emails and right-click on it, click on the Save As option and save it as an .eml file.
Open with Outlook – Now you can drag and drop EML file in the Outlook to open the emails. Open the Outlook folder, drag the .eml file and drop it on the destination folder.
Export to PST – Once, the data of the file is opened, you can easily export it to the PST file from the Outlook.
- First, you need to open Outlook and click on the File to Open & Export to Import/Export.
- Now, choose ‘Export to a file’ option and click on the Next button.
- Then, you need to highlight the Outlook Data File (.pst) option and push the Next button.
- Select the EML folder from the Outlook and choose the destination folder for the newly created file.
- It will save a PST file in the destination folder of your choice.
Automatic Method for Conversion – In this type of method, you can try and convert MBOX to PST without any hassle. You can use a third-party MBOX to PST converter for the process. Using a third-party tool will eliminate the steps required in the middle.
Steps for the conversion are:
- First of all, you need to download and install Shoviv MBOX to PST converter from the Shoviv’s website.
- Open the converter and click on the Add MBOX file from the top ribbon to start the process.
- You will be able to add a folder or files by browsing in the next dialog box. Once, you’ve selected the files or folder, click on the Add MBOX files.
- Now, choose ‘Export in PST’ from the Export Type section in the next window.
- Click on the Export button and the process will begin.
- Wait for a few minutes for the tool to finish Export your data to a newly created PST file.
- You can see the report of Export, save it if you want to.
This way you can export the MBOX file to a brand-new PST file without any hiccup.
Choose a method that suits the present needs and convert your MBOX file to PST effortlessly. A demo/trial version of Shoviv MBOX to PST Converter is also available that allows conversion of first 50 items per folder.