– 72% of UK adults say gadgets inspired them to explore the outdoors more
– 40% say wildlife tech enhances the time they spend in nature
WHILE TIME spent unplugged might be just what we need to improve health, wellbeing and happiness, paradoxically new technologies and gadgets are actually leading to Brits spending more time outside than ever before.
The survey of 1,001 British adults carried out by gadgets and technology e-tailer, LaptopsDirect.co.uk, found that a colossal 72% of UK adults say gadgets inspired them to explore the outdoors more than they would have normally this summer.
In fact, 40% of UK adults feel that tech enhances their outdoor experiences, while a third (33%) find gadgets connect them to the environment in a more immersive and memorable way.
Considering how popular user-generated wildlife content on social media is becoming, it is not surprising that wildlife trusts, parks and tourist boards have all been encouraging Brits to use the technology available to them to identify species, document nature and share wildlife information discovered during outdoor pursuits.
Smartphones and tablets unsurprisingly topped the list of the ten most popular types of technology Brits are using to enhance their outdoor experiences.
These were closely followed by wildlife apps for these devices, which came in third place.
Drones and small hand-held action cameras (e.g. GoPros) completed the top five.
Mark Kelly, marketing manager at LaptopsDirect.co.uk, said: “By now, we all know we would be much better off health and wellbeing-wise if we did spend more time in nature. While stepping away from desks, tablets or smartphones can be a day-to-day struggle, it’s encouraging that there’s tech out there that is inspiring us to get outdoors more.
“Tech all too easily gets blamed for today’s generation not unplugging and connecting to nature but as the research has found, there is no reason why tech and nature can’t work together harmoniously to benefit a person’s outdoor experiences. If it takes a virtual ‘hand’ in the form of a drone, small action camera or geo-caching game to engage in the real world then let’s embrace it and use it to become nature-smart.”
The top 10 most types of technology that are enhancing time spent outdoors:
- Wildlife apps (to record/identify species) on smartphones/tablets
- Handheld action cameras (e.g. GoPros)
- Night vision gadgets (includes cameras, camcorders and binoculars)
- V-R / A-R headsets and apps built for play outdoors
- Wildlife zoom camera lenses
- Thermal imaging cameras
- Metal detectors
Latest posts by What Mobile (see all)
- GENEROUS BRITS SPLURGE OVER £200M MORE ON CHILDREN’S CHRISTMAS PRESENTS THAN THEIR PARENTS DID A GENERATION AGO - 23:14, 27 Nov 2018
- Juice® Unveils Its New Super Charge Range of Power Delivery Plugs - 22:56, 27 Nov 2018
- Ear Candy: Hearing aids join the wearable tech revolution - 21:58, 27 Nov 2018